Thursday, October 02, 2008

Home Again

So Mom is home again and is back to usual spunky self.  We arrived home from Walter Reed at about 3 pm today.  We were all ready to come home, her more than the rest of us.  After a night full of frequent wakenings she quickly realized she would rather be home in her own bed instead of in a sterile hospital room where you get leg cuffs that squeeze your legs every minute, connected to machines that beep.  Wakened by nurses that are just as tired and clueless as the patient who is still under massive amounts of drugs.  (Just one nurse, the rest were actually great.)  

I decided to spend the night in my mom's room when we realized that the overworked/understaffed floor was going to make it difficult to even get help to the restroom.  As we all know, when you gotta go, you gotta go, and you can't wait 45 minutes for a nurse to come help, but after a major surgery, you are not safe to brave the walk to the restroom alone.  I helped her with my experience in navigating drains, bathroom trips, regular pain meds and sorting out all the various drs. instructions.  She has conveyed several times that she was thankful to have a familiar face to help her navigate through her evening.  Isn't it funny how life's roles take us full circle?

Dad returned home and got some much needed rest after having gotten up very early and waiting around all day for my mom's surgery.  My aunt Mary Rita (Dad's sister) came to the waiting room and spend most of the day engaging my dad in lively conversation to help pass the time.  He was really thankful to have her there.  I arrived to the hospital around 7 pm, after driving straight up from Blacksburg. (about 5 hours).  

It will be 7-10 days for Mom to receive her full pathology report, but all indications now are all that we could have asked for.  She is healing well.  She has very little pain and her spirits are good.  

Please continue to pray for a clear pathology and the right combination of factors that could allow her to skip chemo.  

Thank you for your prayers, she can feel them....



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kat, I'm so grateful that you are with your mom and keeping all abreast as to her recovery. She has a long road ahead of but she has a great support team. What more could she ask for? Please give her a big HUG for me, but be careful, don't squeeze too hard. What a merry-go-round this has been. Bless you all. Jeanie

Haddock Happenings said...

You're right, it is interesting how life comes full circle. My Gammy is in a nursing home with Alzheimer's, and I regularly help her to the restroom and perform all the necessary maintenance involved in such a trip...from beginning to end--if you catch my drift. :) It's always a very moving and touching experience for me, because I think about how many times she did that for me when I was just a baby and little girl. I feel blessed to have the opportunity to do for her as she did for me, even if it is under less than good circumstances. I'm sure that's much of how you feel about your Mom and this experience. I'm glad she has you, and I'm glad you have her. I will continue to pray for clear pathology reports and a continued rapid and successful recovery.
Much love,
Amy

Anonymous said...

Hello Kat.So glad you started up your blog again,but so shocked to hear of your Mom's Fight.Please let her know that our thoughts and prayers are with her as she recovers from the whole ordeal.What a blessing to have you there for her.Hugs and kisses all around.Shalom,Michael,Gina and children

Anonymous said...

Anne & Jim, Kat & Jeff and family,

Kat, I check your blog occasionally hoping for your honesty & insight. Anne, news of your diagnosis hit me like a ton of bricks! Remember those blow-up clowns with weighted bottoms we had as kids? These fights w/ cancer remind me of those. We get knocked down, but, by grace alone, we bounce back and live to fight (and laugh) another day. My sister has battled back from kidney, lung (twice), and breast cancer (twice). She's still teaching college-level nursing classes! God alone has control over our present, and our future. And by His grace, He provided Kat w/ her experience, to come alongside you. Many blessings. Georgia