Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Update on chemo and other news...

I made it through my first of 8 chemos! The whole process took about 4 hours. I met with my oncologist (the first time Jeff has met him). The Dr. joked with the medical student he brought in with him about how I was the patient who told him what chemo I was going to do and he was along for the ride.

They took a blood sample to check all those "counts" I explained before. They all came in normal.

I sat down in the chemo room (a horseshoe shaped room with comfy recliners around the outside and nurses station on the middle) I will try and post a picture sometime so you can see my experience.

The most painful part of the process was when the took the bandage off to access my port on my right arm (boy I wish someone could come up with an ouchless tape for hospitals) I felt a stick when the put the needle in my port, especially since it is still so new, it is tender. The good news on this is that they gave me a prescription for numbing cream to put on that site before I come next time so I won't feel that again. I didn't feel burning of the meds going in, like some people described. The first half hour was all anti-nausea meds. The second part was a giant syringe the nurse inserted by hand, it is the "A" part of the A/C treatment. It looks like fruit punch (very red) and it took about 15 min. The last part was an IV bag, the "C" part that took a little over an hour.

I ate lunch during treatment (Jeff was there with me) and watched my little TV they provide. Had a long talk with the nurses about what I was facing in months ahead and also caught up on their personal lives. Susan and Christine will be my regular nurses each Tuesday treatment.

I was fine until about 8pm when the nausea hit. I never actually threw up. Dry heave a couple of times, almost wished I would throw up at others. I took 2 Promethazine tabs over the course of the night. They really knock you out. By about 11 pm I figured out that sucking on ice chips helped the most. I couldn't even stand the smell of anything food wise, but found out that popcorn was ok, it was a light flavor, dry, just enought to get something in my stomach. I went to bed about midnight. Did not feel sick all night. Woke up about 11 am (something I haven't done in years). So far today I feel tired, but no nausea. I am trying to stay on top of it with regular meds, etc. I have eaten a bowl of cereal and a leftover sweet potato. The one bummer (that I had been warned of) is that I have very little taste. The chemo leaves a metal taste and sucks up most of your saliva so I have dry mouth and little taste for the next 4 months.

On to other news, big news. Jeff lost his job yesterday. I know, I know, it could not have come at a worse time. He got the call at about 6pm last night. It has nothing to do with my health, our move, etc. They are getting rid of his whole section of the company. It is only an 8 person company to begin with, so 2 guys will be laid off. His last pay check is August 31st. We knew this was a possiblity for several years now. (This is the main reason we moved to Blacksburg) but as you can imagine the timing really, truly, could not be worse. We have gotten the company owner to agree to extend our health insurance as a "non-salaried employee" until the end of December. This is huge, because even though we will have to pay for the insurance ourselves back to the company, we will not have to pay the COBRA rate which could be thousands of dollars a month given my current health status. We don't know how this will affect our construction loan for our new house, as well as a thousand other things. We feel we have the resources to get throught October. In the meantime Jeff with turn over every rock, send out resumes over a 100 square miles and follow up with all leads. If you all know anyone who needs a computer Developer or Application manager that can work from Blacksburg, Roanoke or Salem (telecommute or commute to local office) please let us know.

Spiritual and emotionally I am tired and wrecked by this latest development. I am trying to do what I can to mend my own body. I am tired of talking with God, I speak to him in whispers of my heart throughout the day, but as he says in his scripture, he knows the prayers when I have no words to say. I embrace your prayers and encouragement now more than ever. I have realized that there are a special group of you that still read this blog, still write back to me and still send encouragement even 2 months into this battle. Trust me when I say, I still pour over every word and need them so much. Thank you for being the continued support to us through this.

Blessings,
Kat

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, so Jeff only loses jobs when you are in the hospital or being treated for something....I guess we need to keep you well! I don't mean to make light of it; the coincidence is just too much.
I'm praying for peace for you until God reveals how He's going to work this out. Praying for your nausea too. xoxo